The New Stack is seeking a full-time reporter for our news desk, focusing on frontend and web development topics. You will help our editorial team go more in-depth on the topics we cover and continue to offer high quality, independent journalism. This is a full-time remote position with an annual salary of $65-85k, depending on experience, with benefits including health insurance, 401K, disability and life insurance.
The News Reporter will keep track of breaking news stories and trends in the realm of frontend and web development, and write articles as assigned by a Senior Editor. The News Reporter will represent the trust and integrity that TNS has built in this space and continue to build close relationships with sources and PR contacts to stay abreast of industry developments and cultivate contributors from diverse backgrounds.
The New Stack does not sell display advertising and instead operates on a sponsorship model. This differentiates us from other media outlets and helps maintain trust with our readers who are a highly technical, inquisitive and critical audience. Our editors must first be highly in tune with our audience, and sensitive to their needs. At the same time, our editors must balance this with our sponsors’ requirements.
The News Reporter will report to the Senior Editor, Frontend Development, and work closely with the editorial, operations and account management teams to coordinate publication across content types, including ebooks and podcasts.
Qualifications and qualities:
- Ideally have 3-4 years of experience in journalism.
- Has an obsessive desire to report news, especially about frontend and web development.
- Can write content related to the technical side of tech companies and startups.
- Can develop and write features and analysis pieces, as required.
- Highly attentive to detail, especially in article copy and formatting. Will not let quality slide.
- Good with people/ friendly and personable.
- Knowledgeable about developer technologies and practices, including web development, application development, Web3 and other emerging technologies.
- Proficient in online publishing platforms including content management systems (WordPress experience is ideal), social media platforms, podcasting platforms and YouTube.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Proficient in AP style; has a strong opinion (right or wrong) about the use of the Oxford comma.
- Understands and upholds the proper line between independent editorial content and sponsored content.
- Familiar with Google Analytics and metrics tracking for content performance.
- Knows how to write a great headline that captures the essence of the content and appeals to our audience, both machine readers (search engines) and people.
- Deadline driven. Adheres closely to an editorial calendar and keeps it organized and on schedule.
- Independent self-starter who also works well collaboratively.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Daily news coverage in the realm of frontend and web development.
- Keep on top of frontend and web development trends, and cultivate contacts in the industry.
- Sniff out breaking news using your personal network and real-time sources such as Twitter.
- Write up stories assigned by the Senior Editor, Frontend Development, and enter into our CMS following our guidelines.
- Work with the TNS editorial team to write and publish articles on thenewstack.io.
- Maintain and grow The New Stack’s network of potential sources and maintain relationships within the cloud native, DevOps, IT and developer communities.
- Contribute to editorial reporting or production roles, as needed.
- Participate in podcasts as a guest host.
- Frequent travel required (1-2 events per month) when in-person conferences resume.
About The New Stack:
The New Stack was founded in 2014 by veteran tech journalist Alex Williams, former editor at ReadWrite and TechCrunch, and is one of the most respected and trusted publishers in the enterprise software and IT technology space. We publish news and analysis at thenewstack.io as well as podcasts, livestreams, videos, ebooks and original research.
Our mission is to provide explanation and analysis of at-scale application development and management. We provide clarity about enterprise software ecosystems for our core audience of experienced developers, software engineers, architects, system administrators, DevOps engineers and IT managers.
TNS values transparency, equality, diversity, thoroughness, clarity, trustworthiness and inclusiveness. We strive to provide the highest quality work for our community, to be a critical and trusted resource for all people making complex technical decisions, and to create an environment for our team that is healthy, respectful, fair and values excellence.
Please send resumes and portfolios to [email protected].