In episode 50 of the Software Defined Talk podcast, we consider the Gartner conferences and how there are the two parts of Gartner. SDT also discusses the innovator’s dilemma in monitoring and identity, Docker monetizing, and Vegas food.
- If you like video, see this episode’s video recording.
- Coté goes to Las Vegas, he can’t escape it. “You want to go by the highway?”
- Two types of analysts: (1.) theory/model holders, and, (2.) “what the fuck is going on?”
- Real people actually go to these Gartner things, and a lot, e.g., 120 in-room active voters.
- Agile survey shows stodginess.
- We can all agree on eggs Benedict on a croissant with lobster.
- Slides for Coté’s talk
Docker, Docker, Docker
- Docker announcements.
- Does Matt have a good intro to Unikernals?
- 8 Surprising Facts about Docker Adoption — Comprised of 6 percent of DataDog traffic, a surprisingly detailed write-up on how they measured with 7,000 customers: containers have an average lifespan of 3 days; while across all companies, traditional and cloud-based VMs have an average lifespan of 12 days.
- Global Continuous Delivery with Spinnaker — Netflix CD tool and AWS, Google, Microsoft and Pivotal on that.
- “Does that come with ‘free’?” — early on, any successful open source community starts wanting the hard stuff for free.
- Citrix spins off GoTo Meeting, cuts 1000 jobs — Gonna focus on the Enterprise.
BONUS LINKS! Not covered in show
- Pandora buys remains of Rdio — The purchase price is $75 million in cash, subject to certain purchase price adjustments.
- Cringely (I thought he retired or something) on Yahoo, IBM and Google (with HPE in the comments).
- CenturyLink exodus.
- Time for a new credit card. Goodbye, Amex at Costco. Gotta be a MasterCard right?
- Coté at 83,657 miles on AAdvantage — who wants me to go to Australia or NZ?
- It turns out there are some reviews and stars in iTunes. Thanks!
- Brandon: The Inmates are Running the Asylum.
- Matt: YouTube gems Punchcard Smooth Criminal, 6ft Man in 6ft Giant Water Balloon, and: McSweeney’s strikes again: It’s Rotting Decorative Gourd Season Motherfuckers.
- Cote: Westin on the strip — free coffee in room, mostly normal hotel, nice walk to Ceaser’s what-have-you, etc.
DataDog and Docker are sponsors of The New Stack.