With big announcements from Microsoft recently, we talk about Windows 10 and what the Lawnmowerman has been up to in RedMond; overall, we like it. We also discuss the recent elections in OpenStack world and if they mean anything. It’s topped with some meandering about what the fuck “hybrid cloud” means anyhow.
Check out http://www.SoftwareDefinedTalk.com for full show-notes.
Subscribe to this podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SoftwareDefinedTalk
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- Dander in the beard, and your keyboard.
- What to buy at Shepler’s, or other Country and Western stores.
– Jan Wildeboer (@jwildeboer) January 22, 2015
- Microsoft’s Holographic Goggles “HoloLens” – seems nifty.
- Windows 10Kinda free, Continuum, Cortana, Spartan
- Is Windows 10 gonna fix calendaring? Also, upgrading.
- So who’s gonna go setup a Windows box? Shit’s free now!
- Related: Magic Leap now employs Neal Stephenson, $542 million in VC An Unexpected Adventure
Cloud SOTU from Coté
- The NIST definitions are awesome! We should shut-up and use them.
- The datacenter needs an operating system a16z podcast.
- Java, platforms, Docker.
- OpenStack Elections – Randy’s pitch.Does this mean the voice of the operators is gone?
- OpenStack still hard.
- Rackspace joins the vCloud Air Network – managed cloud FTW! It’s hybrid cloud!
- Speaking of, what exactly do people use hybrid cloud for? Bursty workloads, but what’s that? HPC, CI/CD…
Upcoming Austin events:
- DevOpsDays Austin – May 4th to 5th.
- Container Days – March 27th and 28th.
- Coté: The Economist Espresso app, paid for with United Airlines miles.
- Brandon: Boyhood movie, watch it fast. Particle Fever is a better movie and may make @mrchippy cry.
- Matt: Momento is a movie that’s stood-up. Also, the Tobalosky Files podcast. Speaking of shortening movies: Steven Soderberg’s blog, the 2001 recut.
The New Stack is a wholly owned subsidiary of Insight Partners, an investor in the following companies mentioned in this article: Docker.