We discuss Amazon Web Service’s financials — is it a lot, a little? How does AWS stack up against the competition and how do you even make a consistent market share pie? Also, we preview DevOpsDays Austin and talk about container management layers like VMware’s Photon and Cloud Foundry Lattice.
- If you like video, see this episode’s video recording.
- AWS numbers are out!
- It’s profitable: “Operating income increased 74 percent to $255 million in the first quarter, compared with operating income of $146 million in first quarter 2014.” Brandon Butler reported profit of “$265 million with a 17 percent margin,” so let’s call it a quarter of a billion and walkin’ around millions.
- “Amazon Web Services is a $5 billion business and still growing fast — in fact it’s accelerating,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com.
- More numbers of what the competition’s doing.
- New York Times coverage has a competition pie.
- After-show: those marketshare numbers look OK, they combo IaaS and PaaS, which is a fine approach.
- 451 pie chart on LinkedIn, and a related commissioned report 451 did for Microsoft.
- Alibaba vs. AWS: “Alibaba said it served a 22.8 percent market share of the Chinese infrastructure-as-a-service market in the first half of 2014.”
- VMware: It’s On Like Donkey Kong — VMware Photon.
- Initially it looks like Red Hat’s Project Atomic and it supports Rocket and PCF naturally
- While Coté is ill-informed on Lattice, Abby on his team has a good write-up.
BONUS LINKS! (Not Covered in Show)
- FFS Twitter (Matt) — This won’t end well.
- Microsoft shutters its standalone Open Tech open source subsidiary: “My take is Microsoft doesn’t need a separate org like Open Tech any more, especially not with the acceptance (and maybe even mandates) from the highest Microsoft management levels to partner with open source companies and developers, rather than to try to take them on as adversaries.”
- Buh Bye, SeaMicro.
- Is Slack Really Worth $2.8 Billion? A Conversation With Stewart Butterfield – Q: So do you think Slack is worth $3 billion? A: It is, because people say it is.
- Brandon: IBM announced free tool, IBM X-Force Exchange. Check it out!
- Matt: Markdown Here, Bedhead Live 1998.
- Coté: Q Card case for the iPhone, also, LineIn.
Pivotal and Red Hat are sponsors of The New Stack.