In this 65th episode of Software Defined Talk, the SDT crew discuss workload scheduling, starting with Mesos. Co-hosts Brandon Whichard, Matt Ray, and Michael Coté careen from CONTROL-M to Lambda, along with Cloud Foundry and serverless. So get ready to beat a horse into glue. Plus, how to handle gifts for father’s day and the usual recommendations at the end.
Check out the full show notes for links to the recommendations, conferences, and tech news items we didn’t get to cover.
- It’s coming, June 19th. What should fathers be asking for?
- Time alone a la Nathaniel Fisher.
- The Buff, neck-ware thing: be like Kevin Rayburn.
- Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Bag.
- Tortuga one-bag backpack.
What exactly is scheduling?
Serverless, what’s the deal?
Not covered in show:
Somebody’s using Kubernetes
- Concur and Barkly Protects use Kubernetes.
- Both shops did customizations to the codebase (AWS AZ & ELB support, Prometheus)
AWS & Australia News
Coté’s revamped Pivotal Conversations Podcast
Typosquatting Package Managers
- Seriously messed up.
- “In the thesis itself, several powerful methods to defend against typo squatting attacks are discussed. Therefore, they are not included in this blog post.”
A Docker on every HPE Server
- Docker is running on HPE.
- Also, here is some application lifecycle management stuff. The IDC reports are expecting big things on this: “IDC’s analysis of this market resulted in worldwide agile application life-cycle management software 2014 revenue of $450.3 million, up 30.5 percent from the 2013 revenue of $345 million. IDC expects very strong growth for agile ALM software for the 2014–2019 time frame, with growth to $1.8 billion by 2019 and a high CAGR of 32 percent.”
- Pivotal circle of code vision, with ConcourseCI.
- Brandon: (1.) Listener Feedback: Amazon does let you have addenda, from Josh Hoover]; (2.) App Store Announcements overview; (3.) Ben Thompson on how to make it in the media in 2016
- Matt: Diaspora
- Coté: Follow-up: that machete works, but watch out for poison ivy. Also, try out @Wu_Tang_Finance to really freak ’em.