Coming fresh off of VMworld, Matt and Coté (mostly Matt!) discuss VMware’s cloud stack, vRealize, along with the new OpenStack API-as-Distro they announced. Brandon covers discuss some of the new, crowd-sourcing business models in industry analyst land and how they’re trying to plug holes in the analyst model. And, as always: recommendations for the week. We also have a bonus episode this week on Compuware being acquired by Thoma Bravo, if you want to putter around in the “fountain of youth stack.”
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- We were listed in DevOps Weekly, which is a great weekly round-up of stuff in the DevOps world that you should check out.
- Sorting out the VMware cloud portfolio – I listed a round-up of news in my newsletter last week.
- 451 Reports on VMworld: a 451 report on VMware’s hybrid cloud scheme, and 451’s VMware networking overview.
- vRealize portfolio diagram
- Matt Ray’s VMworld presentation (currently not available, but sounds cool)
- Lydia’s VMworld day one note, “bi-modal IT,” developers are kinda important, etc.
- Can’t have nice things in automation
- VMware OpenStack API thingy
- “Google Enterprise” is now “Google Work”
- The rise of the crowd sourced analyst.
- Wisegate: Closed Community of professionals doing round tables (Exclusive Club)
- Trust Radius: Yelp for Enterprise Software
- Peerlyst: Linkedin for Security Professionals
- Spiceworks community
- Marketshare and feature breadth as a two by two matrix
- Brandon: hear how a song gets made on the Song Exploder podcast.
- Matt: Wool series, by Hugh Howey.
- Coté: Dropbox upgraded to 1 TB of space, so check that out. What I don’t recommend is dragging all your photos over then and having 5 days of uploads queued up.
Michael Coté is an industry analyst with 451 Research and co-host of The New Stack Analysts.