The VMware Cloud Explained, Software Defined Talk Podcast #009
Coming fresh off of VMworld, Matt and Coté (mostly Matt!) discuss VMware’s cloud stack, vRealize, along with the new OpenStack API-as-Distro they announced. Brandon covers discuss some of the new, crowd-sourcing business models in industry analyst land and how they’re trying to plug holes in the analyst model. And, as always: recommendations for the week. We also have a bonus episode this week on Compuware being acquired by Thoma Bravo, if you want to putter around in the “fountain of youth stack.”
If you like this episode, you may subscribe to the podcast or keep an eye on SoftwareDefTalk.
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- We were listed in DevOps Weekly, which is a great weekly round-up of stuff in the DevOps world that you should check out.
- Sorting out the VMware cloud portfolio – I listed a round-up of news in my newsletter last week.
- 451 Reports on VMworld: a 451 report on VMware’s hybrid cloud scheme, and 451’s VMware networking overview.
- vRealize portfolio diagram
- Matt Ray’s VMworld presentation (currently not available, but sounds cool)
- Lydia’s VMworld day one note, “bi-modal IT,” developers are kinda important, etc.
- Can’t have nice things in automation
- VMware OpenStack API thingy
- “Google Enterprise” is now “Google Work”
- The rise of the crowd sourced analyst.
- Wisegate: Closed Community of professionals doing round tables (Exclusive Club)
- Trust Radius: Yelp for Enterprise Software
- Peerlyst: Linkedin for Security Professionals
- Spiceworks community
- Marketshare and feature breadth as a two by two matrix
- Brandon: hear how a song gets made on the Song Exploder podcast.
- Matt: Wool series, by Hugh Howey.
- Coté: Dropbox upgraded to 1 TB of space, so check that out. What I don’t recommend is dragging all your photos over then and having 5 days of uploads queued up.
Michael Coté is an industry analyst with 451 Research and co-host of The New Stack Analysts.