We Solve All of OpenStack’s Problems. YOU’RE WELCOME!
In this week’s Software Defined Talk Podcast episode, with the breaking news that Larry Ellison is stepping down from Oracle, we discuss Oracle’s potential and all the assets they acquired with Sun. We move onto the $40m funding round for Docker and what they could do with that money as they sort out how they’ll make money, and this leads to a discussion of OpenStack and how we’d “fix” it by becoming laser focused on developers (like Docker). After discussing “converged cloud” Matt Ray explains Minecraft which – turns out – is a thing.
Subscribe to this podcast: http://feeds.feedburner.com/SoftwareDefinedTalk
- Larry steps down: “Mark Hurd and Safra Catz, currently co-presidents of Oracle, were both named CEO to replace Ellison, the company said today. Hurd will run sales, marketing and strategy, while Catz will remain chief financial officer and oversee legal and manufacturing operations. Ellison will become chairman, replacing Jeff Henley, and also take on the title of chief technology officer.”
- Docker funding – a good blog post from them going over The Plan.
- Rackspace not for sale
- Cisco buys MetaCloud, the 451 analysis of the deal.
- Is “converged cloud”/managed OpenStack private cloud” a thing? Cloud in a box?
- We solve all of OpenStack’s problems. You’re welcome!
- Microsoft buys Minecraft. Is that a thing?
- “Minecraft has also not been adapted to take advantage of the graphical interface of Microsoft’s latest operating system” <- hah
- “While Mr. Persson is said to accept that he may not stay for more than six months if a deal is struck”
- Google Hangouts finally fails consistently enough, Matt Ray says that Zoom is the answer.
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- Brandon: with the release of iOS 8, check your contract. If it’s expired, you can go get your phone unlocked! Check the AT&T page, for example.
- Matt: Seminars on Long Term Thinking podcast, from the Long Now Foundation – the most recent listened to, “the history of the future in a 100 object.” The Bruce Sterling talk from 2004(!).
- Coté: get a cover for your iPhone.